Friday, April 01, 2011

Job.

Today I started reading the book of Job. Honestly, I cannot remember if or when I really dove in to study this book of the Bible so I am very curious as to how this journey will go.

The first chapter alone is so powerful, I have to let the story line marinate in my soul.

Job was the wealthiest man in his region. His family lacked nothing...
Suddenly, he seemed to lack everything- his wealth was stolen, his children died beneath a collapsed home.
Tragedy is the best word I can think of to describe this, utter tragedy!

What I stand in awe of is the wisdom Job displayed in verse 21. He said:

"Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away,
may the name of the LORD be praised."


Would that be your first reaction? Psh, I know that has not been my response to life circumstances and I have experienced nothing even comparable to Job's!

I think a lot of us are familiar with the statement, "The LORD gives and takes away."
I wish it was not edited that way.
So much is being said in the first half!

"Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I will depart."


...


"Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I will depart."



Job recognized that he was created and born into the world without anything- his home, wealth, even his family. Though he was living "the dream" full of material wealth, he could still separate out what was lasting and what was temporary.

It is not that he did not grieve- the man shaved his head and tore his clothes!
Yet he controlled himself with the knowledge of who God is- His sovereignty, His knowledge, and His steadfastness.

All the things I hold on to so tightly are the things that Job lost. It makes me recognize how much I have made my family my foundation to stand on. My possessions, I cling to them and never wish them away. In my lust, I only seek after more.

But what are they? What is their actual value?
Please do not hear me incorrectly, I absolutely love my family more than words can describe.
However, they are not worthy of the same sovereignty that God is worthy of in my life.
Though, much too often, I give them and others the authority that solely belongs to Christ.

God, you are so good. I can already sense change coming into my heart. Be Sovereign God of my heart, of my life.
You deserve all glory and praise.
In Jesus' name,
Amen.

No comments: