Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Forgetting.

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 3:13-14


On the drive home this afternoon, I heard Dr. Tony Evans elaborate on this verse with a thought like this:

Paul had to forget his murderous past to become an apostle; to write 13 books of the New Testament!

The timing of his sermon today was funny (in a "coincidental" kind of way, if you know what I mean ;D ). I woke up this morning to a dream about two things from my past that I love deeply. Well, two places is more accurate to say. It was kind of a sad way to wake up because I was suddenly starting this beautiful day with longing, sadness, confusion, and some regret as I sat in bed mulling over the past.

Sometimes forgetting is a blessing.
I do not mean that we should lose sight of everything and everywhere we have been before, but they need to be left in their proper place- behind.

What is ahead of us is GREATER than what is behind.

I know I keep quoting this book, but I really can't help it! Haha:
"God never remains impressed at what you have accomplished. God is concerned that you are celebrating history so much that you do not have a future."
-In Charge, Dr. Myles Munroe


I just want to lose sight of this sadness.
I want to lose all sense of the control that runs through my veins when I think of my permanently fixed past.
I just want to forget so I can move forward.


No comments: