Saturday, April 30, 2011

Royalty.

Yep, I am about to jump on board with the Royal Wedding talk in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1:

(For the sake of getting pettiness out of the way: Kate Middleton's dress=love. Trees inside Westminster Abbey= loved equally or greater than said dress. David Beckham's suit= epitome of gentlemanly style. & HATS!!= Why can't we wear hats?! I want to wear hats!)

Ahem. Moving on!

Quoted in the Bishop of London's speech delivered during the ceremony:

"Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
-St. Catherine of Siena.


As I watched CNN's build up to the Royal Wedding via DVR this afternoon, it stirred up some discontentedness and curiosity inside. As I have questioned before, I began to wonder why God placed me here, in this country, with this heritage, with this family and these experiences. How does He even begin to choose and design other individuals with full knowledge that one day they will be kings and queens or even paupers or orphans?

Then I came back for my day 5 session on Malachi. The study led me to God's perfect answer:

"On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?

Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?"

-Romans 9:20-21


Great imagery, isn't it?
These verses make such a good point. Though I am content overall with my circumstances and self, I do fall into wanting to change myself to be more like others. Sometimes I wish I was stronger, smarter, faster, even funnier!

But who am I to say, "God, why?"
"Why does Kate Middleton get to be Duchess of Cambridge and I don't?"
"How come I am so fortunate while others live without?"
The longer I live the more I see how God places me in circumstances that I don't actually feel qualified for on purpose. I am the fool meant to shame the wise. I am the weak chosen to shame the strong.

Regardless of my ranking or understanding, I have purpose. People are easily inspired; I can inspire people.

Though I live in utter dependency rather than lavish wealth, I must not forget: I too am royalty.
My inheritance is the Kingdom that will outdo every kingdom in world history.
I will bear a crown, though it will be at my King's feet and not atop my head.
His aura of prestige, romance, majesty and awe is so incomparably great.
The Great King addresses me as, "friend."

Whoever you are, wherever you are, rich, poor, or somewhere in between- you have a platform to fill. Whether we gain worldwide media attention or not, we impress something on every person we come across. That is a great responsibility. How do you inspire the world?

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more."
-Luke 12:48b


"Be who God MEANT you to be," not, who you think you are supposed to be or who people say you should be. When you fulfill the purpose God designed in you to fulfill, THEN you will set the world on fire. You may not see the fire spread, but it starts with your spark and travels from person to person; nation to nation.



Father, I pray over the now Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. May they draw near to You so You will draw near to them. Let intimacy with You rule the hearts of every leader in the Western world. I pray our world leaders would practice lordship to You alone so they may be granted wisdom, knowledge, and understanding of how to build the future of our nations for Your glory. Be Lord of us "commoners," as well. Remind us that we are not all that common. You built us with unique purpose. I pray we would not wait for the spark of our leaders. Let us set the world ablaze: person to person each and every day. Teach us how to love. God, I pray these in faith with the knowledge that when we turn our hearts to You, You turn your face toward us. In seeking You, we will be empowered and equipped to reach out to the poor and helpless. Be near, O God.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.

No comments: