Sunday, June 03, 2007

Culture Shock?!?

Wow! I've been home for almost a month now it's weeeiird. But SO good.

Since being home I've had the chance to, I guess you could say, screw my head on straight. In my attempt to adjust at school, I fear I lost myself along the way...I've realized how much people don't really know me. Especially among some of my closest friends. It's so easy to get caught up in the culture of my school and the south in general. Maybe it's a good thing, I mean, people are so nice down there. I find myself with a stronger, but more introverted personality now that I'm back in Chicago. And it feels like this skin fits me. I think my downfall is that I am exactly 50% introvert and 50% extrovert--gimme the meyers briggs test, I'll prove it! But anyway, I just wanna be myself next year...ALL year...



All of this hit me over the past week because we had family over from the Philippines. My Tita (Aunt) Dolli and Lolo (Grand-Uncle) Ashung have been staying with us the past couple days. It was great!! I got to listen to them talk to my mom in Tagalog allll weekend,

it's like music to my ears. :)

Last night was their final night here at our house so we invited my aunt and uncle to come over for dinner. I had the biggest wake up call to just how eccentric my family is and how much I love it!

Here's the scene:

Five 100% Filipinos sitting at a dining table with one 100% Indian, and two kids that are 50/50. The oldest child is still in Hawai'i. Meanwhile, we're all sitting around eating Lou Malnati's (Chicago style) pizza & salad, Portillo's Chicago style hotdogs...Oh, and Chinese lo mein. AND homemade Indian curry chicken that my dad made w/ nan or...like, pita bread. Afterward, we had mangos, pineapples and watermelon for dessert. Finally, we chatted into the night while the adults sipped either their American coffee or Hawaiian tea.

But see?? I told you!

60% of the time, I couldn't understand what was being said (Ha, I can count to 10 in tagalog), but it didn't phase me! Instead, I just listened. I pick up stuff sometimes and other times, someone will explain a little or start speaking Taglish (Tagalog-English mix).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! But few people from outside my home grasp it. I think that's why the depth of this part of me goes unnoticed with most people. Until they really get to know me, come into my house and truly see it for what it is, they won't fully know me. My home and ALL it's culture (oh yeah, a pinch of Ethiopian culture is in there too--you'll hafta ask about that one), is such a vital part of my life. Haha, so whoever God wants me to end up marrying better be ready or be just as eccentric as me!

I'm so thankful for a home like this. I really hope to preserve it. Maybe this will give you an idea as to why I love my home/family so much. :)

5 comments:

Tim said...

you and me. we are a lot alike, you see..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.